I’ll be honest, I’m really impressed with the constant updates lately. The content of the updates is always hit and miss, no matter how regular they are, but the speed of these TF2 updates compared to what we’ve had most of this year. Big content updates though, we’re skill kinda lacking. But at least we’ve got keys now for the limited summer crates.
First things first, here’s the actual update notes:
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
- Added Limited Late Summer Crate Key to the Mann Co. Store. Available until October 13, 2014.
- Fixed the Limited label not being displayed for items on the Steam Community Market or in the Steam backpack
- Fixed colorization of item level description line for Limited items
- Added tournament medals for BETA LAN 2014
- Added a NEW! label to new items in your backpack until you mouse over them
- Fixed a case where cosmetic items would be orphaned in the world
- R.I.P. Captain Canteen
- Fixed not being able to open the Taunt menu during the bonus time on an Arena map
- Fixed a dedicated server crash related to bot Spies
- Fixed item level not displaying correctly in the Mann vs. Machine lobby
- Updated the auto-balance code to immediately respawn players that are automatically switched, or that voluntarily switch, during a balancing period
- Not supported in Mann vs. Machine, Medieval mode, Arena mode, Tournament Mode, or Training
- Updated the removeid command to support Steam2 and Steam3 ID formats
- Updated the materials for The Atomic Accolade
- Updated the equip_region for The Special Eyes
- Updated rd_asteroid
- Added a 45 second overtime when a team reaches max points
- Added placeholder pickup ship and robot worker to indicate a team has reached max points
- Added a sound to captured and returned points as they fill the progress bar
- Captured and returned points now fill the progress bar faster
- Progress bar escrow indicator now stays in place as points are added
- Touching the reactor core no longer fully resets the return timer. Every second the reactor core is held will add a second to the return timer.
- Virtual Reality Mode
- Fixed selecting the wrong refresh rate when running on a display that does not use the desktop refresh rate
Before I say anything else… THERE IS A POCKET HEAVY MISC FOR MEDIC. But no Pocket Demoman. Oh well.
Alright, it’s the normal stuff, cosmetic changes, changes to RD_Asteroid, but there’s some super good news in there: They finally fixed the bug where you’d randomly find cosmetics floating in the air! Alright, this means we no longer have the Canteen God (or Captain Canteen as Valve put it) but that’s a good thing, right? To quote Taxicab1729 on SPUF, he’s partying with Crazy Legs Scout and the Level 3 Mini-Sentry in TF2 Heaven now. Hopefully this also means that you won’t see players running around without their Gibuses and Pyrovision Masks on, only to round a corner and be scared shitless because said cosmetics are now floating in midair and staring you in the face.
Another good piece of news is that anyone caught by autobalance respawns automatically. Which is nice.
There’s also the inclusion of a “new” tag on new items in your inventory. This is great for when you accidentally click through your trade/item drop/whatever and don’t see everything. The tag disappears when you hover over the item.
The changes on RD_Asteroid are nice. I like the idea of a 45 second Overtime. I assume this is just in case the enemy team has captured cores or something, giving them a chance to even up the scores.
There were a couple of undocumented changes too.
- Added Limited attribute to retired hats.
- Added a kill icon for Nostromo Napalmer.
- Correct the sight on Rocket Launcher.
The first two make sense. The Nostromo Napalmer is the flamethrower reskin that was released for the new Alien game. The retired hats being limited seems a tad silly since there are vast numbers of them around, but since no more will be made (unless someone unboxes them), there’s some sense in there. The third? I have no idea.
Anyway, enjoy the new cosmetics. The Lady Killer, which my brother just unboxed 3 of, in a row, is a nice-looking Spy coat.