It’s that time of year again. After the supposedly love-filled month of February comes the dreary month of March, which can’t be asked to snap out of winter and become the prettiness of Spring. Spring is April’s thing, March couldn’t give a shit. But March is also the time for A Week of Love and Hate, Number 3. That’s right, the community-writing fun fest is here to annoy you all.
For those of you who don’t know, A Week of Love and Hate is about people writing articles about things they absolutely, uh, love and hate. Then a week is dedicated to publishing all those articles, and the best article writers receive prizes. The first Week of Love and Hate was about TF2 classes, the second Week of Love and Hate was about TF2 things in general. This year Week of Love and Hate is about maps.
Maps are the corner stone of any game. You can’t really have a game without some sort of map or world space. Even Pac-Man had a map. Yes, those mazes technically count as maps. Team Fortress 2 has a literal fuckton of maps, and while everyone knows that the most played map is 2fort, it’s not everyone’s favourite map. What about maps like Badlands and Granary, the original competitive maps, or utterly horrible maps like Junction and Goldrush?
Fact is, I don’t know what your favorite and most hated maps are. I’d like to know what they are. Hence this Week of Love and Hate. Because, let’s face it, there wouldn’t be many games without them, and I’m certain I wouldn’t even be here if I happened to stumble across a 24/7 Junction server back in late 2010.
With the theme out of the way, let’s get on with the rules.
- You must write an article about your most loved or hated map in a Source-based or Valve game – this includes but isn’t limited to: Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life 1 and 2.
- Your article must have the following tags: A Week of Love and Hate 3, your name and either Love or Hate, depending on the subject of your article.
- For bonus points, you can hide the secret phrase in your article. This year’s secret phrase is “aabicus loves orange chicken”.
- Your article must be at least 450 words and contain at least two images, one of which needs to be of the map you are writing about.
- You may submit a video. The video can be up to 15 minutes long, but a short follow-up article with a link to your video and an image of your map of choice must also be submitted.
- Your article must be submitted and marked as Pending Review before Monday 20th March.
- You may submit as many entries as you like. But if you submit more than one entry, you must have at least one Love article and one Hate article.
- Make sure that your Steam URL is filled out on your profile. This will be used to distribute prizes at the end of A Week of Love and Hate 3
- Each person may only win one prize. Prizes are undetermined as of writing and will be announced on either Monday 20th March or Friday 24th March.
Starting on Monday 20th of March, contest articles will be published daily. Winners will be announced on Friday 24th March and prizes will be given out whenever the winners are online to receive them.
You all got that? Good! Now get writing!